[messaging] encryption of Signal notification messages

Halil Kemal Taşkın haliko87 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 01:41:40 PST 2016

Hi Raphael,

That's right, the notifications are used to trigger the app to notify there is a new message. These notifications have some properties. So, you can set a payload with the notifications. This payload includes a text data to show what is the content of the incoming message on the notification panel of your partner.
So, as a developer you can write anything here, and that text will be shown on the notification screen.

Considering Apple APNS example, as a client, when you register your app, the phone gets a push token from Apple and submits it to the app's own server (in this case Signal's server). Now the app's server can use this token to send a notification to your device through Apple APNS servers.

Here the end-to-end encryption between users is not the problem. It is still there without problem. But, the message you wrote is also sent to the Signal's app server for push notification and then relayed with your token to the Apple APNS server and the notification is shown on the phone of your partner.

Signal just shows directly the message content (or only part of it because of payloads are limited) itself on the notification payload. This means that your end-to-end encrypted message also has been shown by the Signal's app server and Push notification system. That's the point I want to stresss that this actually damages the idea of end-to-end encryption.
Again, as a summary, there is no problem with the end-to-end encryption here.
But your message is also sent in plaintext for push notification issues.

Regards.
--
Halil Kemal TASKIN.