[messaging] Masking contact addresses with ECDH

Ben Harris mail at bharr.is
Mon Feb 29 12:25:05 PST 2016

On 1 Mar 2016 7:11 am, "Tony Arcieri" <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, February 29, 2016, Ben Harris <mail at bharr.is> wrote:
>>
>> What if I were to take the scalar and raise it to [the field prime minus
2] mod the prime?

> If the answer to that question is the original point, then I guess the
scheme is worthless...

The multiplicitive inverse of the original scalar.

But your scheme could just be Alice publishing a random R and also the
hash/HMAC of each contact using R as key.

Though it looks to only protect an attacker from determining if two people
share contacts if the majority of public keys are secret/unpublished. An
attacker with a directory of contacts can unblind everything.