[messaging] Partial order group chat with partial history visibility

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Wed May 25 05:06:29 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 12:25 +0200, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Ximin Luo:
> > Jeff Burdges:
> >> Is there even a global partial order G for typical DVCs for example?
> >> It's just the local ones that actually exist on disk, right?
> >
> > Yes, that is G the "full history".
>
> One thing to note here is that I don't mean that everyone *has already received G*. What I mean is the union of all events that everyone has committed to their local copies.

I have not yet understood the situation :

At each participant u, there is a local partial order G_u whose nodes
are labeled by sets U[v] are participants and whose edges are add and
remove events.

We've some way to view these as part of a global partial order G, yes?
How does that work?

We can transmit the sets U[v] with each message like you say, but those
sets are only labels, not the nodes themselves.  And they can get
repeated in strange ways.

It's likely the edges do have global identifiers, denoting message ids,
so nodes could be labeled by their edges too.  At first blush that
sounds questionable but maybe if you make assumptions on the channel.

Jeff