[messaging] Double Ratchet spec

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at nadim.computer
Tue Nov 29 03:13:54 PST 2016

Hello again,
It's been a week since my query. I'd like to know if the lack of response
indicates that Trevor or Open Whisper Systems feel this isn't something
worth clarifying.

There are many projects out there who have been impacted negatively because
of this ambiguity on how Signal Protocol might be implemented:

* Silent Circle were contacted by Open Whisper Systems and asked to modify
their implementation, which they ended up renaming to ZINA as a
consequence, away from LibSalamander ("Zina is Not Axolotl").
* ChatSecure almost lost their U.S. public funding to implement Signal
Protocol, until an agreement could be reached regarding whether a totally
independent implementation could be published on the App Store.
* Wire claims to have been asked for USD $2.5M for licensing fees for
Signal Protocol after writing their own implementation, and were forced to
update their independent implementation with a copyright notice for Open
Whisper Systems.
* Some other projects are also claiming that in the past year, before these
specs were published, they were asked to pay a licensing fee even if they
intended to independently implement Signal Protocol from scratch.

I think the above examples render my question undeniably relevant. When I
sent my question last week, it was the second time in a year that I had
formally presented it to this mailing list. Trevor and his team have had
ample time to respond.

Why is my question not eliciting a response after asking it twice over the
space of weeks and months? Would I be exaggerating if I suspected that my
question was being intentionally ignored?

Nadim