[messaging] Crypto standards in modern-day consumer apps

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Jun 20 08:30:54 PDT 2020

>     It won't surprise me if at some point EncroPhone gets silently
>     taken over by the Dutch police and used in a sting operation
>

> Well, that didn't take long:
>
> https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/06/20/news/wave-of-arrests-after-breach-of-encrypted-communication-network-1980136/
>
> In the end, cryptography still boils down to trusting people (the
> implementors).

Since we have Mike from the guardian, a wordsmith, if I may, let's
carefully note use of words and say that " *security of a thing* still
boils down to trusting people (the implementors)".

Wordsmiths, please, don't perpetuate a nihilism-leaning memes by loose
use of words that somehow hint that cryptography is not reliable. If
there were problems with cryptography, police would not need, quote,
"sophisticated attack and the malware code". And when was the last time
you've heard a phrase "physics still boils down to trusting GM car breaks"?