[noise] What noise/blake2b is being used for

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Nov 4 14:59:40 PST 2015

On Nov 4, 2015 11:54 PM, "Trevor Perrin" <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
> > Okay good to know about the speed trade-off. Right now I'm doing a sort
of
> > awkward dance of having "Curve25519 + Blake2b", which is a bit
incoherent.

> The larger hash is more conservative.  It's even more overkill, but
> there's nothing wrong with that, if it doesn't cost you anything.

The concern is just -- what's the point in having a strong hash when I'm
using a weaker curve? Seems like 448 would make more sense if I'm going to
stick with blake2b.

At the moment, the thing making me hold onto 25519 is that the public keys
are so short they can be passed around as command line arguments, which is
nice for usability, and the fact that curve25519-donna has been decently
battle tested.