[noise] A simple and safe TLS/TCP-like protocol

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sun Feb 5 13:19:21 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Alexey Ermishkin <scratch.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, as an intermediate summary I can see that
>
> 1) We'll use strings with 1 byte length instead of versions. It allows us to specify cipher suites, patterns and whatever else.

The Noise protocol name specifies these things, so I'd just put in the
full protocol name (e.g. "Noise_XX_25519_ChaChaPoly_SHA512").

You could argue for skipping the first 5 bytes ("Noise") but I would leave them:

 * It allows extending the version negotiation to include non-Noise
protocols.  E.g. your initial message could offer some Noise
protocols, but also "TLS_13" or something else.

 * Makes packet captures more readable.

> 2) Maximum packet size should be configurable. Via n1 or other mechanisms

Agreed that I like Rhys's idea of making this configurable via an API
call.  Which highlights that we need to define a NoiseSocket API, not
just the on-the-wire protocol.

Not sure what you mean by n1?

> What will be a prologue then? A concatenation of all "message type" strings from the first message?

Yeah, I think that's the best we can do.  Since the initial messages
might depend on the prologue (e.g. with NoisePSK), we can't make the
prologue contain the initial message contents.

But we could set the prologue to:
 - 1-byte = number of version strings (N)
 - N times:
   1-byte = length of version string
   <version string>