[noise] Document structure (was: Mechanical definition of "fallback" modifier)

Jake McGinty me at jake.su
Mon Jun 12 01:15:53 PDT 2017

A specification structure proposal I’ve had floating around in my head for a bit:

1) Core

Definitions of the handshake and transport state machines (sections 1-8 in the current rev32 spec).

2) Appendices

Overview of security properties of the various handshake options (sections 7.4 and 7.5), as they’re convenient information but not a necessary part of a specification since it can be generated from the core spec.

3) Extensions

Currently this would be one document for each of {pskN, fallback, HFS, NewHope}, and perhaps we could have a standardized set of sections for extension papers so the documents don’t look totally different from each other.

-----

To address Alex’s concern (which I share) about well-defined compliance, Noise implementations should consider the core spec to be the minimum requirement, and would simply include a list of which extensions are also supported.

~jake