[noise] Explicit nonces (for lossy transports)

Jake McGinty me at jake.su
Thu Jun 15 00:42:39 PDT 2017

OH NO NOT THE KITTENS!

Thanks so much for laying out the challenges. This summary of the
considerations is
gold, and yeah I agree.

It sounds like a lot of what I was describing belongs in a “Noise
Pipes UDP”-type
project which could have a opinionated level 4 protocol to make it easy
to build
WebRTC-esque protocols using Noise.

I guess the question now is, do we:

1) Define an “explicit nonce” extension which specifies that Split()
returns a
CipherState whose EncryptWithAd(ad, plaintext) returns a (ciphertext,
nonce),
and where DecryptWithAd’s signature becomes DecryptWithAd(ad,
ciphertext, nonce),
and state that implementations must ensure duplicate nonces aren’t
processed?

or

2) Make the Noise spec less opinionated about the “transport” phase
cipher state
machine, and change the transport CipherState to not require a nonce,
but
instead specify that there must be a mechanism for ensuring duplicate
nonces are
not tolerated?