[noise] Test Vector Specification

Alex alex at centromere.net
Tue Nov 21 18:45:19 PST 2017

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 00:28:05 +0000
Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:

> >>  - We could also describe optional failure cases attached to
> >> messages, e.g. invalid_public_key = true, in which case the
> >> implementation is allowed to reject the message, or continue
> >> processing.
> >
> > In general, do you think it would be best to change the `fail` key
> > from a boolean to a string whose value indicates the type of failure
> > expected? In keeping with your example:
> >
> > "fail": "invalid_public_key"
>
> Not sure about this.  Implementations might not provide granular error
> messages, and there are reasons to avoid fine-grained error messages
> (thinking of the Bleichenbacher or Vaudenay attacks on TLS).
> Tentatively I think just indicating "this message is allowed to fail"
> / "required to fail" / "must succeed" seems enough.

I can understand why you might not want to communicate to a remote
party what kind of error occurred. However, shouldn't that be the
responsibility of the application, not the underlying implementation?
In other words, I want to create a Noise implementation which returns
extremely specific error messages to the application. It's the
application's responsibility not to communicate them outward. I think
this would make debugging easier and more transparent.

> > If we choose to adopt failure cases, I think each case should be
> > represented in the test vector spec as a first-class citizen,
> > including whether or not the failure is optional/ignorable. The
> > failure cases I can think of are:
> >
> > 1. Invalid public key (ignorable)
> > 2. Static key overwrite -- the remote party sent a static key when
> > it was already provided by the local party (fatal)
> > 3. Decryption error -- a key or payload failed to decrypt (fatal)
> > 4. Key missing -- a particular key is required by the given
> > handshake pattern but was not provided (fatal)
>
> Steps 2 and 4 are testing the API more than protocol implementation.
> I.e. the test vector's arguments are immediately invalid given the
> pattern, and this is detectable before any messages are sent.

This is true.

> Hadn't thought about this before.  Is this an invalid test vector
> (don't do it), or do we allow such vectors to ensure the
> implementation's API can detect misuse?

Defined failure cases also ensure that an implementation's API throws
the right kind of exception under the circumstances.

> >>  - The fallback testing is specific to the XX/IK "pipes" concept,
> >> but as we consider other "compound" protocols this will probably
> >> become inadequate, and we will need something more general.  Maybe
> >> it would be best just to allow [init|resp]_remote_ephemeral so
> >> that fallback patterns could be tested directly for now, and we
> >> can think more about "compound" test vectors later?
> >>

> > If `[init|resp]_remote_ephemeral` is provided, would that obviate
> > the need for `fallback` and `fallback_pattern`?
>
> Yes, at the level of testing individual, "linear" Noise protocols.
>
> No, if you want to test a complete "Noise Pipes" IK->XXfallback or
> some other compound protocol.
>
> But "compound protocols" are a work in progress (see the recent
> NoiseSocket, NoiseLink) threads.  So it might be best to leave that
> out of scope in this test vector format, and we can have a separate
> NoiseSocket / NoiseLink vectors spec later, that tests more
> complicated / compound cases.

Ok. If I understand correctly, you want me to remove the `fallback` and
`fallback_pattern` keys, and you want me to /not/ add
`[init|resp]_remote_ephemeral`. Correct?

--
Alex