[noise] non replayable XK/KK?

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sat Jan 27 16:07:55 PST 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM, Justin Cormack
<justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> Yes, I do think that psk, public key is better, even if just for the reason that
> public keys are things that by the nature of their type you have mechanisms
> to transfer (eg a handshake) and therefore it is high risk to have some keys
> for which this is normal and others for which it would be disastrous.

Yeah exactly, much better to keep a sharp distinction between public
data and secret keys.

>> We've lightly discussed this before but never bit into it, because it
>> would take real work to figure out the range of potential use cases /
>> requirements for a "defer" modifier (or multiple modifiers?) and then
>> specify how it actually works with all possible patterns...
>
> Yes, it is not entirely clear as there are a lot of patterns. Maybe, like
> psk, there are some versions that make most sense. Will think about it.

Yeah, that's probably the case -"defer" might not make sense with some
patterns, and might have multiple plausible meanings with others.

Definitely would be a good weekend project to try to figure out some
options here, totally encourage you (or anyone) to go for it.