[noise] noisecat: the noise swiss army knife

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Wed Feb 28 01:23:22 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Gerardo Di Giacomo <gdg at fb.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I wrote a netcat-like tool for noise protocol: noisecat - https://github.com/gedigi/noisecat

Hi Gerardo,

Nice!  I was going to steer you towards NoiseSocket, but looks like
you don't need any length/framing bytes, since both sides are
configured with knowledge of the handshake and then just forward
streams.  So this ends up really simple...

I added a link on the Wiki under "Developer Resources".  That's not
the right place, but after some time and review we can mention it on
the main site.

Couple Qs:

 * I'm not sure how the local party's static key pair is set?

 * I also wonder if the use of patterns could be simplified?  E.g.
based on the keys the user specifies, could you just automatically
choose a pattern from (NN, NK, KN, KK)?

(I think the patterns with transmitted public keys aren't as useful
here, as there's not an easy way to do anything with them?).