[noise] Noise Explorer

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Fri May 25 02:04:19 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Nadim Kobeissi <nadim at symbolic.software> wrote:

> Observe message C in the following two results:
>
> https://noiseexplorer.com/patterns/KN.noise.html
> https://noiseexplorer.com/patterns/IK.noise.html
>
> In IK, message C is resistant to key compromise impersonation even if its
> sender (the initiator) negotiates a separate session in parallel with a
> compromised principal Charlie, who is controlled by the attacker
> unbeknownst to the sender.
>
> In KN, message C is also resistant to key compromise impersonation, but
> unlike message C in IK, this property does not hold if Charlie also enters
> the fray in a similar manner.

Sorry, I'm not following this.  There's an obvious difference between
message C in KN and IK, which the Noise spec captures with
confidentiality property #1 vs #5.

Do you mean something different from these properties #1 and #5?  I'm
not sure how to interpret "KCI-resistance" for message C of KN,
because this message is being sent to a recipient who doesn't have a
static key to compromise.

This is complicated, if you were able to explain it really slowly and
clearly it would help me, and maybe others.