[messaging] "Pseudoword" base32 fingerprints

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Wed Feb 5 15:49:52 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Joseph Bonneau <jbonneau at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a really a lot here. It might be worthwhile as a first step just to
> enumerate the possible design constraints.

I think the constraints for these fingerprints are:

1) You don't have free choice of strings (like a password generator).
Instead, you can only evaluate a "scoring function" on candidates
produced by SHA256(pubkey + 32-bit counter).

2) The scoring function needs to be fast.  Ideally it would be faster
than a single SHA256 compression function (which might be accelerated
via GPU or special CPU instructions).