[noise] New test vectors

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Fri May 20 00:30:23 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Rhys Weatherley
<rhys.weatherley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:59 AM, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
>>
>> We might also need to more clearly "name" some of these features, so
>> we can create matrixes saying which implementations and test suites
>> support which features.  For example:
>>
>>   null public keys optimization
>>   pipes
>>   indistinguishable pipes
>>   handshake hash
>>   secondary symmetric key
>

> How about:
>
> "features": ["ssk"]     // test makes use of SSK's
> "features": ["pipes", "ssk"]     // test uses both Noise Pipes and SSK's
>
> If a test runner does not recognize a feature, it issues a warning and moves
> onto the next test.  Another possible tag name: "extensions".

To keep it simpler:  What if the presence of any unknown tag (e.g.
init_ssk or resp_ssk) just causes the test to be skipped?

We might also have to skip tests with unknown patterns, because there
will be more patterns defined, and not every library will support all
of them.

> I don't consider the handshake hash to be an extension feature - I see it as
> a core protocol function.

That's reasonable.