[curves] Curves and code for Identity-based Encryption

Michael Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Mon Jan 26 10:25:31 PST 2015

And https://github.com/herumi/ate-pairing <https://github.com/herumi/ate-pairing>, which also claims to be the fastest.  But the real question may be which has the nicest API.

Unfortunately, BN curves only really shine at the ~WF128 level, where a 256-bit curve matches a 256*12-bit extension field discrete log problem (EFDLP).  At higher WFs (or if you’re worried about improvements in EFDLP), you need a higher embedding degree so that the EFDLP will be harder, or else a very large base field.  I don’t think there’s any any known curve at those higher levels which is as simple as the BN curves.  In particular, last I heard all known families with higher embedding degrees have huge cofactors, on the order of p^(1/5) or higher.

— Mike