[curves] General Curve25519 and Ed25519 Libraries

Michael Scott mike.scott at certivox.com
Tue Jun 30 00:42:56 PDT 2015

Probably a little late responding to this, but we have a new Crypto Library

https://github.com/CertiVox/MiotCL.git

There is a PDF in there which describes it in detail.

- Its multi-lingual (C, Java, JavaScript, + C# via translation tools, and
coming soon - Swift)
- Its portable (no assembly). So not the fastest.
- Its targeted at the Internet of Things
- It only supports security at the AES-128 - bit level, that is 256 bit (or
slightly less) elliptic curves.
- Built in support for NIST, Brainpool, 25519 and NUMS curves, plus BN
curves for pairings
- Side channel attack resistance baked in
- Legacy support for RSA
- AES+ standard modes. AES-GCM. SHA256

Probably the only controversial aspect is the restriction to 128-bit
security. Best justification for this comes from Miele & Lenstra

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/ecc-workshop-2015/papers/session1-miele-paper.pdf

who  point out that 256-bit security was introduced as a response to the
possibility of a quantum computer (in which case elliptic curves are toast
anyway), and that 192 bit security was suggested for the profound
scientific reason that 192=(128+256)/2 (that last from Brian Snow of the
NSA, who should know)

Feedback welcome (particularly on what aspects to concentrate on to enhance
side-channel resistance)

--
Michael Scott
Chief Cryptographer

"Those who give up essential security to purchase a slightly better user
experience, deserve to get hacked."