[messaging] Tor Hidden Services in (Cables, SMTorP, Pond)

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Tue Jun 17 15:38:12 PDT 2014

On 17/06/14 23:31, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 06:11 PM, Trevor Perrin wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Eleanor Saitta <ella at dymaxion.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the past, we've talked about having an optional untrusted proxy
>>> within SMTorP, either for sending or receiving, mostly to deal with
>>> the purely practical problem of both users not being online at the
>>> same time.  Our preference had been use the proxy on the sending side,
>>> as that way the sender can see when their message actually reached the
>>> receiver's mailpile, which we feel broadly maps to existing user
>>> expectations with respect to email behavior.
> [...]
>
>> Are there really "existing user expectations" that senders know when
>> messages reach the recipient's mail client?  That's a nice feature,
>> but seems like it could be handled by delivery receipts which allow
>> recipients to opt-out.
>
> [..]
>
> Eleanor, where do you see the "existing user expectations" around
> delivery status?

I don't have data on "user expectations", but from the sender's point of view: if the recipient opts out of sending me a delivery receipt, I don't know that they received my message - a malicious network could have dropped it. So, I might like it if my messaging program repeatedly re-sent the message until I got this acknowledgement.

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git