[messaging] plausible deniability and transcript editors

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sat Jun 28 01:06:43 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Guy K. Kloss <gk at mega.co.nz> wrote:

> One thought was, that it's too difficult to make anybody believe that
> somebody has actually tampered with a transcript. So, an idea came up
> that one actually might just need to provide a tool that's reasonably
> easy to use for an average Joe to read a recorded transcript, edit it,
> and save the modified version again.

Hi Guy,

This exists for OTR:

https://otr.cypherpunks.ca/README-libotr-4.0.0.txt
"""
TOOLKIT

Along with the library, this package comes with the OTR Messaging
Toolkit.  This toolkit is useful for analyzing and/or forging OTR
messages.  Why do we offer this?  Primarily, to make absolutely sure
that transcripts of OTR conversations are really easy to forge after the
fact.  [Note that *during* an OTR conversation, messages can't be forged
without real-time access to the secret keys on the participants'
computers, and in that case, all security has already been lost.]
Easily forgeable transcripts help us provide the "Deniability" property:
if someone claims you said something over OTR, they'll have no proof, as
anyone at all can modify a transcript to make it say whatever they like,
and still have all the verification come out correctly.

Here are the six programs in the toolkit:
"""