[messaging] plausible deniability and transcript editors

Guy K. Kloss gk at mega.co.nz
Mon Jun 30 16:18:06 PDT 2014

On 27/06/14 19:59, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Signatures, at least in UK law, are about intent. See
> http://www.apache-ssl.org/tech-legal.pdf ("Signatures: an Interface
> between Law and Technology").

Hmmm, I might have a bit of a naive perspective into the way the legal
system works, I guess.

Anyway, it seems very strange, that if somebody produces a "paper note",
everybody will ask some expert or family to verify that the hand writing
and/or signature will match. So it seems that there may be a bit of a
discrepancy between what kind of evidence is expected in the analogue
world vs. the digital world.

In a way, it leaves the stale impression on me, that there's a reversal
of proof expected again, where one may need to prove their innocence
rather than somebody else needing to prove somebody's guilt. Therefore,
it would make it very simple to frame somebody else by using digital means.

Just my thoughts on this. Just rolling these thoughts over in my mind ...

Guy