[messaging] The Simple Thing

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sat Sep 27 14:06:10 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:
> I should clarify these two points:
>
> 2. You do not buy NMC.
> 3. You do not go to exchanges.
[...]
> this is pretty much identical to what people do today: they buy
> a domain in some currency of choice and host email on it.

You were previously proposing that *individual* users register keys in
the NameCoin id/ space, as Alaric describes.

https://github.com/okTurtles/dnschain/blob/master/README.md

https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000561.html
https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000610.html
https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000729.html

Now you're just proposing provider-based key directories.  And you'd
grandfather existing providers, so this just amounts to Gmail
publishing gmail user keys, Yahoo publishing yahoo users keys, etc.

That's the same idea lots of people have proposed.

I suppose we could have a thread sometime on how to authenticate
provider-based key directories.  But I guess it's clear now that
you're focusing on this question, and questions like (transparency
logs issued by a key directory for *user* keys) are orthogonal.