[messaging] Key rotation

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Jan 6 01:38:43 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 10:04:41AM +0100, carlo von lynX wrote:
> I think the assumption of this being important to users may be incorrect,
> we should investigate this better. Most cases when people email strangers
> are actually situations when people would have added a person from the
> social graph of their existing contacts, had they had such a social graph
> at disposition. Just look at Facebook behavior patterns. The other common
> situation for mailing strangers is when you are contacting a company or an
> authority - in those cases a QR code printed on a brochure would do the job.
> So I don't see a use case for a complete bootstrap out of pitch darkness.

I am currently visiting a city where I know nobody, and there is an open
source project headquartered here that is relevant to my professional
interests, but that I have no 1-degree or 2-degree (that I know of)
social contacts with.

I'm going to email them with pointers to my relevant publicly disclosed
work, and this is a use case which it would be nice to build
communication systems to support.

The lack of support for this use case is, IMO, one of the major blocking
points for Pond as an email replacement.  (Pond currently doesn't even
support the simpler use case of "Hi Alice, let me introduce Bob, you two
should talk", but at least there is a proposal on the table for
supporting introductions in Pond.)

-andy