[messaging] Affirmations

nymble nymble at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:00:13 PST 2015

Interesting thread ..
> On Jan 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent--
>
> (sorry for the delay)
>
> Thanks for raising this idea.  I've been working on certification
> schemes using OpenPGP and X.509 as part of the monkeysphere project,
> which uses keys to identify ssh hosts and ssh users (and https hosts,
> though that part of monkeysphere is bitrotting at the moment due to lack
> of time), so i've thought about this space a bit too.
X.509 has so many problems …

SDSI/SPKI has not been mentioned here yet.  While not well adopted and having a few warts, it’s notion of the key ‘speaking’ for a namespace is a very powerful concept.

I’ve been working on repackaging and extending the use of SDSI/SPKI like naming for ‘home’ applications.  In a home environment, you are never able to have a central CA, every mobile device might be an ‘authority’.

Current baseline approach is:
- key identifiers are the principal for policy and authorization statments  ( id = f(cipher suite identifier | public key) )
- Attribute Bassed Access Control Framework (ABAC - all policy enforcement is based on the attributes associated with the principal
 - attributes have a ‘source’ .. the speaker in the SDSI/SPKI sense
   if Alice and Bob are keys you have assignments of the form
   e.g.  Alice says Bob has ‘foo'
- SDSI/SPKI was too slim on semantics an typing.  Everything needs typing and strict semantic usage
    all attributes are  tag: value   with strict constrains on value based on the tag, so an attribute expression is of the form
        Alice says Bob has group: foo
- XACL, SDSI have unfriendly human readable syntax … a subset of YAML seems more readable.
  You need tags for the ‘speaker’/authority and target (Alice and Bob), but ca and target are a little techie
   In trying to map closely to english it becomes:
—
says: *alice
this: *bob
has:
    group: foo
signed: 64e5f1506840684457cb04a25214fbea

YAML defines ‘*’ as a macro-like replacement, so the *alice refers to a previous shared public key and cipher suite ….

Hidden in the mechanism is that group or any other tag is not global…  the actual attribute name is  *alice|group:foo
Every key then implicitly defines it’s own namespace of attribute …

Of course you need a canonical serialization …
Delegation is a different type of statement giving trust to another key to ‘speak about’ a range of one or more attributes
SDSI/SPKI provides binary delegation.  With tag:value pairs you can get better granularity of authorization.

Paul