[messaging] PKI is dead

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Fri Jan 23 18:22:11 PST 2015

U.Mutlu wrote, On 01/24/2015 03:00 AM:
> Tony Arcieri wrote, On 01/24/2015 12:01 AM:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:57 AM, U.Mutlu <for-gmane at mutluit.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Back to the roots: hashed pw over MITM-safe sessions (SRP, SPEKE etc, ie.
>>> PAKE).
>>

>> These aren't MITM safe. They're TOFU. They have no way to authenticate the
>> server.
>
> They are MITM safe. Basically one needs just DH + Key Authentication,
> for example H(DHkey,H(p)), whereby on server only H(p) is known and stored.
> This authenticates not only the client to the server, but implicitly
> also the server to the client, under the condition that the userDB
> on the server is secured against theft.

And of course using theft-protection of the userDB also
on the client (ie. for non-interactive logins, for example
of an email-client to the email-server).

The theft-protection is IMO easy to do: just encode the userDB
with some unique systemIds, like HW serial numbers...
On a different system the userDB is useless.
Of course user (and also the server admin) must have the ability
to convert the userDB to be used on new hardware. For that,
again a password is needed, for example of the admin who
administers the userDB.

So, this is a safe & secure method.