[messaging] Passphrase-based key mobility (was: Peerio)

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon Mar 2 00:42:11 PST 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Nadim Kobeissi <nadim at nadim.computer> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
>>
>> So my claims are:
>>  a) If you want passphrase-based mobility between devices, in a
>> protocol where the user has a home server, just storing the
>> passphrase-encrypted private key on the home server is the best
>> approach.
>
> Yup, I've already said this isn't a bad idea, and I think by this point it
> seems to be the most reasonable way to move forward.

I'm not recommending this - just saying it's the best version of this
idea, so should be the basis for discussion.

If you want to do this, my advice is the same as Joe's: use
machine-generated phrases with high entropy, not user-chosen.  I don't
know if that has the useability you want, but it would be secure.

>>  b) It's unclear in what use cases this is a good idea
[...]
> This becomes a substantially more subjective discussion on
> user-friendliness, subjective to the degree where I'm not sure it can lead
> to a fruitful discussion here.

Well, the first step is to determine what use cases this is addressing
and what the alternatives are.

If I want to provision a new device and have an old device at hand,
there are good ways to copy a private key from old to new.  For
example, use QR codes or short-auth strings [1,2] to create a secure
channel over which to send the key.  I think scanning a QR code or
verifying that two devices are displaying the same short string has
good useability - probably better than a long passphrase.

So that leaves cases where I want to use a new device *without* an old
device present.  For example:
 (a) recovering from a lost device
 (b) using internet cafes if you don't own a device (or flash drive)
 (c) using a friend's computer if you're away from your device

For (a), users could be given the option of a recovery key, which they
could print and store.  That's basically the same as a
machine-generated passphrase, except users aren't expected to remember
it or use it frequently, so there's less concern about useability.

I also like the idea of users electing some M-of-N set of other users
whom they trust, and having shares of the recovery key encrypted to
their public keys.  We discussed ideas like this last year, though the
context was a forgotten password rather than lost device [3,4,5].

I'm not sure (b) and (c) should be supported in end-to-end secure
software.  It seems dangerous to give users the impression of
end-to-end security with devices they don't control.

I suppose the recovery key mechanism could be used for this if some
user really wants to, but I'm not sure (b) or (c) need more support
than that.  And since users nowadays own smartphones that are always
with them, this doesn't seem that important.

Trevor

[1] https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000036.html
[2] https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000095.html
[3] https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000362.html