[messaging] Reduce identity key exposure in Pond

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon Mar 30 17:17:46 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Jeff Burdges <burdges at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pond clients are identified to the server by a Curve25519 key pair called the identify key, stored in client.identityPublic and client.identity.
>
> At present, your contacts all know your identity key, stored in Contact.theirIdentityPublic.  An adversary who both hacks the pond server and compromises any of your contacts thus learns when you receive messages, when you collect messages, and message sizes.  I suppose the group signature scheme necessitated this, but..

Hi Jeff,

I'm not following - your Pond mailbox server already learns "when you
receive messages, [and] when you collect messages".  Delivery tokens
control whether the server accepts a mail for your inbox, but I don't
see how they affect the server's knowledge of when mails arrive in
that inbox, or when they're retrieved.

I also had trouble following below, I don't have the details of Pond's
key management fresh in mind, so a slower explanation with more
background would help.