[messaging] Encrypted Pulic Contact Discovery

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sat Sep 5 07:54:24 PDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 3:56 AM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 at 07:06 Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
>>
>> Recipient selection is often done *before* composing a message.  For
>> example:
>>
>>  * User starts an app
>>  * User taps "Send new message"
>>  * Contact discovery happens while user waits
>>  * App displays the intersection of address book with registered users
>>  * User selects recipient(s) from intersection list
>>  * User composes message
>>
>> Contact discovery delay here is very noticeable.
>

> Surely this only matters for contacts who have joined the service since you
> last used the app?

The user's address book may have changed as well.  And users may have
left the service as well as joined.

It might be possible to take advantage of those deltas, which is why I
gave numbers for them.  I haven't seen research on that, though.

Also, contact discovery delay after a fresh install matters.  If you
install an app and can't use it for several minutes, that's not good.