[messaging] "Appear offline" mode for Ricochet

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Wed Oct 14 13:35:22 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 08:17 -0700, Sarah Jamie Lewis wrote:

> > In any case, I'm interested in more solutions to the presense
> > problem for Ricochet because it's really annoying me!
>
> This is something I've been thinking about lately.
>
> I believe the only way this could work given the Ricochet threat
> model is to use multiple identities.

TorChat had that problem as it used both parties hidden services for
one chat session, thereby also divulging an isomorphic copy of the
social graph to HSDirs.

I think Ricochet improves upon this by only opening one connection in
the direction of first communication, so George's proposed modification
should work fine.

In fact, the approach many take for Jabber is to leave themselves
logged in all the time from some server.  I've seen at least one person
do this from Ricochet, not 100% sure how, maybe s/he just makes a tor
hidden service that pipes to a text file.

We should mention that, at present, Ricochet has no additional
encryption beyond Tor's rather anemic 1024 bit RSA.  I'd considered
hacking in an Axolotl ratchet, but thus far I've been rather busy.
 It'd be better to do it sooner rather than later.

Jeff