[messaging] MITM-safe communication w/o authentication possible?

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:36:17 PST 2015

>In other words, your way of interpreting the question basically ignores the hard problem. Of course, if you ignore the hard problem, then it's "possible".

I agree with that, the hard problem is aliasing real world identities
with cryptographic ones.

I've found, and I expect you'll disagree with me, that decomposing the
problem into "aliasing" (very hard) and encrypting (easier), helps
clarify the security requirements of particular use cases.

I would also like to point out that the RPKI was specifically designed
to prevent aliasing between cryptographic and real world
organisational identities:

"The subject name in each certificate SHOULD NOT be "meaningful",
i.e., the name is not intended to convey the identity of the subject
to relying parties."
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6484#page-13