[messaging] Can a pre-shared public key prevent MITM-attacks?

Justin King-Lacroix justin.king-lacroix at cs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 7 16:37:51 PST 2015

SSL (used by HTTPS) depends on PKI to solve this problem. PKI is about
having a trusted third party to vouch for the identity of at least one of
the participants involved. That trusted third party is the CA - VeriSign,
Thawte, Comodo, etc.

HTTPS is therefore secure against MITM as long as all of the (hundreds of)
CAs operate correctly -- that is, they aren't subverted by a malicious
party, and they don't lose their signing keys.