[messaging] RFC: Bao, a tree hash and encoding format for incremental verification

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan ram at rkrishnan.org
Wed Nov 14 18:43:14 PST 2018

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018, at 12:56 AM, Jack O'Connor wrote:
> The need for an incrementally verifiable hash came up at Keybase when
> we were adding support for message attachments, though without an off-the-
> shelf standard available we decided not to tackle it. Since then I've
> had this on the back burner as as personal project. I think it's ready
> for review:>
> Project: https://github.com/oconnor663/bao
> Spec: https://github.com/oconnor663/bao/blob/master/docs/spec.md
> Rust API docs: https://docs.rs/bao

That looks very interesting, thank you. I was thinking of similar data
structures for a running stream of data and then stumbled on merkle
mountain ranges[0], which looks somewhat similar to Bao?
Cheers
Ramakrishnan

[]
https://github.com/opentimestamps/opentimestamps-server/blob/master/doc/merkle-mountain-range.md