[noise] spectemplate / spectools

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Tue Nov 14 13:08:58 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM, David Wong <davidwong.crypto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Successfully built the spec using your tools, it's live there:
> http://discocrypto.com/

Great!, some comments:

 * If you copy the files from spectemplate into your repo (at least
the Makefile), then anyone can checkout your repo [1] and build.

 * Handling of references still needs to be adjusted.

 * Change log seems like a good idea, probably we should have that in
the Noise spec and in spectemplate as well.  I'd put it towards the
end of the doc though, so that as it grows (or gets removed later) it
doesn't alter pagination throughout the document.  In the
spectemplate, maybe put it after "Rationales" but before
"Acknowledgements"?

 * Probably should have "IPR" and "Acknowledgement" sections?

 * You mentioned "extending" metadata:

"""
extending:
 - noise-revision-33
 - strobe-v1.0.2
"""

I kind of think displaying those as raw strings will look ugly and
cluttered.  Also, I'm not 100% sure what the benefits are.

If you think this is a good idea, maybe submit example HTML and PDF
docs (based on edits to spectemplate/spectools) of how you think this
should look, and explain more on how it's used and the benefits?

Trevor

[1] https://github.com/mimoo/disco