[messaging] Do Blockchains solve Zooko's triangle? (was: Another Take At Public Key Distribution)

Ben Harris mail at bharr.is
Wed Sep 16 18:47:54 PDT 2015

On 17 Sep 2015 11:02 am, "Jae Kwon" <jae at tendermint.com> wrote
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there are definitely improvements to be made in all blockchain
styles, and there are tradeoff’s everywhere.

> We should try to define what "permissionless" really means -- when you
dig into it, you will find that Bitcoin offers nothing.

At the end of the day, don't these all just build upon a different
definition of trust?

In the centralised architecture you trust that none of the authorities are
compromised.
In Bitcoin you trust that no one has spent the money to get to 51%.
In PoS are we trusting that no one has purchased a majority stake?
In transparency methods, we trust that no more than N-1 verifiers are
colluding.