[messaging] what is the role of wrap-resistance in onion routing?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 11:27:52 PDT 2015

Den 10 okt 2015 16:30 skrev "Jeff Burdges" <burdges at gnunet.org>:

> I haen't quite understood the wrap-resistance property for onion
> routing protocols defined in [1], although I first noticed in section 4
> of the Sphinx paper [2].
>
> In short, they do not want attackers to be able to take valid onion
> packets, add a layer to the onion, and test it against a router.

If the router successfully decrypts it, it may or may not recognize the
packet and thus respond in a way that's usable as an oracle, revealing if
this packet did once pass through this node or not.

If it for example has replay resistance, a timing attack may reveal of the
router either don't understand the packet or if it knows what tunnel it
belongs to and knows that's a duplicate.