[noise] "have one joint and keep it oiled"

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Dec 28 17:27:32 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Alexey Ermishkin <scratch.net at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don’t think we need canonicalization (yet) because it’s basically a
> write-once operation.
>
> Might be useful with some kind of certificates, but even then it’s not a
> big deal. We can just treat whatever message as an array of bytes and
> forbid editing.

Agreed we don't currently need canonical-form serialization for anything.
However, we currently get good test coverage with our test vector format.
If we support higher-level protocol contents that can be encoded different
ways (like proto3) then we lose the ability to test them so easily.
Something to keep in mind.

BTW looks like Google uses some homegrown protocol instead of TLS inside
> their infrastructure. Seems like a good place for NoiseSocket to fit in 😊

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, any links?